A few weeks ago, I had to sit down with my son and tell him some hard news. One of his closest friends was moving away. He and his mother and sister were finally going to be able to join his father who is in the Army in Kansas after being separated for nearly 3 years. We were thrilled for his family to be reunited of course, but my heart broke for my little boy whose tears ran down his cheeks. This is one of the hardest things to face in childhood and it is hard as a parent to watch. I tried to reassure him that they could stay in touch by phone (they have spoken every two to three days religiously), they could "face time", they could skype, they could e-mail and even write letters, but they truth of the matter is with no family here in TN to return to visit and with us not having much reason to travel to Kansas... this goodbye was probably a pretty permanent one for the boys. (Of course, I didn't tell Evan that). To top things off, they were moving quickly. Just two weeks. They moved Zack's birthday up so that he could have one last hoorah with his friends. It was definitely bittersweet. We also had a little playdate before they left and that goodbye was definitely hard. Pretty much everyone was crying (even Chloe and Zack's sister Emma who don't even know each other) when we left. I am pretty sad, too, as I am losing a teaching partner whom I've worked with for the last 6 years, but I know this will be best for their family. I'm praying for a smooth transition for them and much, much happiness in the future. Poor Evan will be so bored now in the afternoons after school!
We will miss you, friends!


No comments:
Post a Comment