Today you are seven years old and I feel a little catch in my chest when I type that. Today when you came down the stairs and I wished you a happy birthday, I watched you smile your huge smile with your big grown-up front teeth surrounded by the little baby teeth still around them. Those teeth are a great example of what you are today at 7. So big in some ways and still my little boy in others. Today at 7, I put my arm around you perfectly at shoulder level height. That's right you come all the way up to my shoulder today and I have to tell you, I wasn't expecting that to happen at age 7! So tall, yet still so eager for mom to put that arm around you. Today at 7, you are playing a video game that your daddy approved for you that is much too mature for you and loving it. So big, yet you still want mom to sit beside you when you play it in zombie mode because by golly, it's scary! Today at 7, you have ridden a great big roller coaster- Thunderhead- twice, and loved it! So big, yet you still ask to ride in the buggy at the grocery store sometimes (this is a problem because you take up the entire back of the buggy and there is no where to put groceries!). Today at 7, you can ride your bicycle without training wheels, all by yourself, yet you still like to drive the toy gator (which will barely go with you in it) around the yard, too. Today at 7, you are reading 3rd grade chapter books by yourself, but you still like to cuddle up at night and hear a bedtime story. Today at 7, you tie your own shoes, but you still like to be snuggled in a towel after bath time. Today at 7, you earn and count (and recount) your own money, yet you feel shy when you pay the cashier and hide behind me. Evan, today at 7, I am so very proud of the young man you are becoming. Proud you how smart you are, proud of how responsible you are, proud of how mature you are becoming, how kind, how polite, how independent. Evan, today at 7, I cherish the little boy parts of you that remain. Cherish the hugs, the grins, the snuggles, the requests, the "I love yous", the "mommy, will yous", the bedtime stories, the hand-holding, the innocence. Every year that I watch you grow, I am more amazed and proud then I ever thought possible.... and every year I wonder how I can slow it all down. I love you so much Evan. I love you for the glimpses of the little boy I see, for the big boy you are each day, and for the wonderful young man I see you becoming. You are such a wonderful blessing. Happy birthday, buddy!
Love,
Mom
No comments:
Post a Comment