Thursday, May 3, 2012

What She Meant to Say

Evan won 1st place at his school science fair! We are headed to county next week and he is so excited. Ever since he went to county last year he has been hoping he would get to go back. His project was pretty awesome this year and really fun! I'll post pictures of it (and our adventures completing it) later, but I had to share this story before I forgot...

So he runs in my classroom yesterday afternoon and says, "Mom! I got 1st place!". I give him a hug and a high five and a student (very cute, precocious little girl) overhears and approaches. She looks at Evan and says, "You won 1st place in the Science Fair?" He proudly tells her yes. She responds, "I won 1st place one time in 2nd grade. But would my mom drive me all the way to Philadelphia for the county fair? Noooo. Of course not. I pretty much gave up on Science Fair projects after that until this year. I decided to enter again this year. And I had the best idea ever. Right, (insert friend's name)? It was AWESOME! And I didn't even place! Can you believe that?!"

Evan just kind of looks at her with a stunned look on his face. Her friend looks at him, leans over in front of her and puts her hand on Evan's shoulder and says very matter of factly, "What she means is: Congratulations."

I burst out laughing. Gotta love middle school drama! Maybe it will teach Evan to appreciate his parents who are more than willing to drive him wherever he needs to go for the Science Fair and support him in whatever way is necessary, though.

No comments: