Friday, August 1, 2008

Hi-YA!



Evan went to see the movie Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles with his dad at the free movies this summer. Ever since he has been obsessed with being a "tuttle injun" or turtle ninja for those who don't speak Evan-ese. He runs throughout the house screaming "Aye-YA, Aye-YA" as he fights off imaginary monsters in every room in the house. And every request we make must be preceded by "That is what a turtle ninja would do, eat, say, etc" if we have any hope of him complying. He and his dad act out scenes from the movie and we were the best parents ever when we recently returned home from a consignment sale with a $5.00 bag of TMNT action figures (and Power Rangers which we convinced him were the Ninja Foot Clan). We've had to do some instruction on who he is allowed to fight (like Mommy doesn't particularly enjoy fighting and fighting Grandmommy or Granddaddy Ben is just downright dangerous) and when fighting is appropriate (like not when we are trying to get dressed, brush your teeth, or go to bed), but all in all, it is fun to watch him imagine and play. I had to laugh when I was trying to get Chloe to bed the other night and he was "Aye-ya-ing" around our bedroom. Finally in frustration I told him he would have to leave.... his response... He very solemnly looked at Chloe and I in the rocking chair and said "Good night, dark prince" and then left the room. This new "violent" side has been an adjustment though. I told Matthew, my sweet baby is gone. And it is true, he is such a little boy now instead of a baby. At the doctor's office today I was reading a magazine about children and an article said: "Put her to sleep yourself every night. Sing to her and cradle her in your arms and sit by her side-every night. Because one day you won't be able to carry her anymore, and it's going to happen really fast." That really hit me as I thought of how Evan still wants me to carry him upstairs to bed sometimes and I can barely make it up the stairs with him because he is so big! How did he get so big so fast?! Wasn't it just yesterday that he looked like this?

No comments: