I got to witness firsthand the innocent faith that comes with childhood the other day. As I was nursing Chloe, Evan brought my corn on the cob holders (it's amazing what he can find when I'm tied down by nursing), his blue blankie, and a drum stick into the room. I watched as he carefully placed the corn holders on the floor at my feet, covered them with his blue blankie, waved the drumstick over the entire thing and said ABRA-CA-DABRA! With a flourish he removed the blue blankie..... as adults we all know and expect that the corn holders were still there. The look on my child's face however, was priceless! He was in total shock and confusion that they were still there. He had fully expected that they would disappear. It had never occurred to him that magic was not real or that his trick would not work. He scratched his head and repeated the entire process again, this time repeating the magic words three times for good measure. Again, the corn holders were still there when he removed his blankie. Again, he looks completely surprised. He then scratches his head again and says, "Hmmm, this making things disappear is very tricky. Mommy, can you help me make them disappear?" I wish I could, baby, if nothing else, so that this innocence, faith, and belief in magic could remain in you forever.
And He said: "I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.Matthew 18:2-4 (in Context) Matthew 18 (Whole Chapter)
No comments:
Post a Comment