Monday, October 20, 2008

Bring the Rain

I sat down last night after putting the kids to bed to do some of my schoolwork (I'm currently getting my Masters degree and I was crazy to do it right now!). Anyway, I cannot sit down at the computer without checking to see if anyone had updated their blogs yet, honestly, my fingers just click on it, I can't help it. Of course some had, so that started it. I will admit that I have become kind of obsessed with blogs lately. I love to read about what other people are doing. My dad and I have always enjoyed "people watching", like just sitting on a bench in a crowded place and observing the people that go by and this is another way to do that. My dad was looking at our blog one day and he said, you have a section called "Friends and Family", but none of those people are the friends I've heard you talk the most about. That's because my very closest five friends didn't have a blog at the time. Amanda finally jumped on the blog bandwagon, but I'm still waiting for the others (hint, hint!). Anyway, I explained to him that these were people I work with or used to work with (who are also some of my closest friends), people I went to high school with that I "found", and even some old acquaintances that I'd lost touch with that I "found" through others' blogs. For a long time, I felt kind of funny, like I was spying (or lurking as they say in the online world) when I would discover someone's blog by a link from someone elses'. I would go to their blog from my "friend's" blog, but it got to where I just couldn't keep up with where to find everyone's, LOL. Then I realized that lots of people read other people's blogs, even people they don't know at all. So, my friends list has grown and even though I don't talk to many of the people on the list on a regular basis anymore, I still consider them to be friends and I'm interested in learning about all the good things in their lives. But, last night I came across a couple of blogs (while reading the blogs of people I don't know) that really touched me. I don't know these people so I didn't feel right posting them under "friends", but I wanted to post them on my site for two reasons: 1) So that I can easily keep up with them and read them and 2) So that other people who read my blog might be inspired by them, comforted by them, and/or will pray for them. So you will see a new heading on my blog called "Other Blogs". The two blogs I've listed there, I've listed because they were meaningful to me.

So, after stumbling across the Bring the Rain blog, I ended up staying up until 12:30 reading it and did not get any homework done at all. I actually have looked at that blog before and I thought, really nice blog, pretty layout, author is a good writer, but didn't notice what it is really about. Last night, the first post was about The National Day of Remembrance for Pregnancy and Infant Loss (October 15). Of course this was dear to my heart due to the three miscarriages I have had. Then it hit me what this blog really was about and I went back and read from the beginning. What an amazing woman this mother is! Her faith is unbelievable and so inspirational. On her post about October 15, she asked for people to post a comment if they had lost a baby and she had over 2000 comments as of this morning! That is heart stopping. I know in my own circle of family and friends many have been touched by this heartbreak. So, I just wanted to explain where this blog came from and that I do not know this person, but I am inspired by her.

A couple of my close friends have suffered losses since mine. At the time of my losses I couldn't figure out God's purpose in them, but now I know that if nothing else, they have made me a more compassionate person. The reach and scope of the Bring the Rain blog is a testament that every person has a purpose from God, no matter how brief their presence on Earth may be and that is a comfort to me. After reading the blog, I went into my bedroom and just stood and stared at my baby girl sleeping soundly. I ended up picking her up (I know, I know, never disturb a sleeping baby and she did open her eyes and look at me like what are you doing? But she went right back to sleep) and just laying her in the bed with me. I laid there for about an hour just watching her sleep, listening to her breathe, and smelling her baby smell and thanking God over and over again for bringing me through my storm and placing her in my arms.

4 comments:

Perri said...

I did the very same thing the first day that I came across the blog, "Bring the Rain". I read the whole thing in one sitting and was just amazed at the story.

MaryBeth said...

Thanks :) I guess we never know how the experiences(good or bad) we have in our own life will help someone else. You have been a big help to me :) love ya !

{A*very} Blessed Life said...

Thanks Amanda for sharing. I enjoy reading your blog as well as others too. I will always consider you and the friends I taught with at LES dear to my heart. Even though I haven't been back to LES or talked to friends in quite a while, I consider the time I spent there to be very very special. We all shared our first pregnancies together and saw the birth of beautiful children. I love to keep up with you, Emily, and MaryBeth through your blogs and feel as if it were yesterday that we saw each other. Thank you for your friendship!

Keith, Cindy, Jacob and Benjamin said...

Thank you so much for sharing "Bring the Rain". I have never been through anything as devastaing as a miscarriage or losing a child, but I must say that this blog has changed my whole outlook on life. I see things in a whole different light than before I read it. Ever since I read it yesterday, I look at my children and start crying and I give them a big hug and I thank God for the two little precious blessings that he has given me. Of course, before the blog I thanked God for my kids everyday, but this blog has triggered many emotions in me. My kids think that I have gone off my rocker a little bit, but that's okay.....(maybe I have Lol!) Thank you again Amanda for sharing this blog and I thank you for your blog as well. Your posts are very uplifting and inspiring to me. I look forward to checking for updates everyday! Take care!

Cindy